Friday, August 21, 2009

Cafe Myers - Identity crisis






Cafe Myers one of the Market Place restaurants that I have never been to. Luckily three of my colleagues accompanied me so I would be able to get a wide range of dishes to evaluate. First off probably the only way you would even find Cafe Myers is by stumbling drunk out of The Hopyard.  You would have to make a series of wrong turns and then suddenly there it would appear right in front of you. Reminds me of Venice.



Suffice it to say this place is behind the 8 ball when it comes to foot traffic, so you figure for them to stay in business they must have great food.  


If this table is any indication this place is in trouble.  These people never came back, unless they consider their food like wine and want to age it a few years.

My first thought of the name Cafe Myers is of Myers Lemons and Italian cooking. So I am hoping for a good solid cafe style Italian food. In reality you get a long standard cafe type menu and then a separate Thai Food menu. What was their thinking? I think they have no idea what they are doing. To me it is obvious that a Thai husband and wife bought the place and really have no idea about american culture and thus marketing to Americans so they kept the cafe menu, but they really like making and know Thai food so they added it to the menu.


As you can see from the flyer it is very amateurish and not too appealing looking. I did ask the guy at the counter what they do well and he said everything is good and preceded to point and read every item on the menu. So he was useless. He did not give even a hint of why a particular item on the menu was good, he just read it, which I had done in half the time.





Our orders where 2 turkey burgers, 1 ham and egg sandwich and 1 thai chicken basil dish. Thanks to the counter guy I was expecting great things.




This is quite a place. As you gaze around you marvel at the improvements put into the cafe. These guys must have thought that americans love Disneyland and what typifies Disneyland more than Its a Small World.

Back to the food. My turkey burger was mediocre, if I want a good turkey burger I am going to go to Hopyard. The Thai Chicken was edible, but if I want Thai food I am going to a Thai restaurant. The Ham and Egg sandwich was just that, nothing outstanding.


Beside the fact that I don't think many people know that this place exists their food is just not that great. There is nothing compelling to bring you back. Their problem is they have no identity, they should stick to good cafe food or be a Thai restaurant. Instead they are stuck somewhere in the middle. Plus this place is totally miscast in this center, they need to be somewhere on I-5 in a middle of the nowhere truck stop without any other food choices around. Probably cheaper rent and they would get just as much traffic.


If for some crazy reason you want to eat here you better hurray because I doubt it will be around long.

1 comment: